PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Origin of Forge Light (Speculation)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-25, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: The Origin of Forge Light (Speculation)

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
Given enough attention you could make almost any engine look like another, after all most have similar technologies (if you could call it such) behind them. Unreal Engine 3 has the capacity of looking near identical to CryEngine 3 or Frostbite 2.
That is very true. I'm not saying SOE hasn't developed an engine, I'm saying they've made an engine that is thoroughly impressive and similar to what we saw with Project Offset. Hell even if they did start off with Project Offset that's still a 5 year old engine they'd have to work on to bring up to current generation standards; lots of development needed. I'm super excited about the Forge Light engine, can't wait to get in Planetside 2 and see how it all works and renders.

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
In short, MMORPGs have a development cycle probably averaging 5 years or so, while Planetside 2's development cycle will probably be 3 years, max, and that's being very liberal with where you start counting given the whole Planetside Next -> Planetside 2 development switch.
That's a fair point and one I agree with.

Last edited by Saieno; 2012-04-25 at 09:47 AM.