PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-14, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #127
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
So... we don't have to wait as long as most of the people that are ever going to play this game, both for fixes and new content... and in return... we never get to play with them. You know. The other half (and probable majority) of the player base. In a massive multiple parallel shoot-em-up where if the population dwindles past a certain point, people get bored and simply quit playing.

At serious risk of sounding like a condescending dick, I don't think you're thinking this through, Chip. You get twice (or more) as many people to shoot at and you don't wait any longer than they do. For anything. What's your beef?
I don't really care if the majority of the playerbase ends up being on the console, as long as the PC playerbase is healthy and big enough. I didn't have any interest in playing with the Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 3 console players.
Who's to stay that the console version, and any subsequent performance optimization, won't help attract more people over to the PC version.

I have certainly thought it through, from years of direct experience. Having to conform to the certification process is no joke and frankly is one of the main reasons why I prefer PC titles. Also having to wait for said process is bad enough in a multiplayer game, but an MMO... We've already seen just how many hotfixes have been needed for PS2 so far.
I personally probably wouldn't be getting any more people to shoot at on Miller, even though the playerbase will hopefully grow substantially overall with the inclusion of the PS4. So I don't really care about that, as long as each server has a healthy population I'm fine.

That being said, I'm not against cross-platforming when it makes sense. I don't think it makes sense in an FPS, or probably any other shooter.
I wouldn't be against offering up an alternative for the console players willing to play with a M+K, not sure how that would work out with different client versions because of the certification process. But as a general rule of thumb, no. I don't want to see aim assisted controllers go up against keyboards and mice in an FPS. (Unless someone comes up with a very creative way to make that work)

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-06-14 at 06:39 AM.