PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genre
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-07, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Also, I think it is pretty ridiculous to infer that Planetside will degenerate into a deathmatch just because k/d is tracked. You know better than that, Malorn.
I said its bad for the game and discourages team play. I didn't say the entire game degenerates to deathmatch, but if that's what the devs encourage, that's what people will tend to do.

I say again, just because games did it in the past does not mean it is right for THIS game to do it. This game is very different from other modern shooters. Its time to recognize that and challenge assumptions.

I claim that removal of death stat tracking and promoting score as a stat that can take almost anything into consideration will significantly improve the game by encouraging different and more team-oriented player behaviors and give the developers the power to encourage / discourage specific behaviors and shape the game. I believe this to be an incredibly good thing for the game both long term and short-term.

Do you disagree with that?