PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Static Mini-Map/Compass vs Rotating
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-20, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
kadrin
Sergeant

Re: Static Mini-Map/Compass vs Rotating

I'm all for options, people have their preferences, though I do find it strange the people who like static minimaps.

With the rotating map, top is always forward, so seeing anything on the left or right sides you automatically know which way to start turning your mouse, and when giving directions, I find I'm usually pointing in the direction I'm trying to give, and only ever need to look at the top to see my current orientation.

With the static map, giving directions is about as easy I guess, as all you have to see is where your arrow is pointing, but checking what's on your left and right is problematic. Again with rotating, left side of the minimap is always your left, and right is always your right, but with static you first have to determine which ways are left and right by looking at where your arrow is pointing then adjusting. Your left could be the top, the bottom, the right or the left on minimap, and I think that the little time it takes to get your bearings then orientate the direction you really want to look (usually that red dot that just got real close to you suddenly) really can make the difference between responding in time to the threat and staring at the respawn screen.

But to each his own I guess.