PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Opinions on gaming peripherals
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-11, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Opinions on gaming peripherals

Originally Posted by likwidneo View Post
@Rbstr I'm sure those headphones/mic deliver higher quality output over all, but offer no surround sound, which i'm sure everyone knows gives you a huge advantage in-game. I doubt I would pick up a headset that didn't offer surround-sound.
They do, through the software used. For example Xonar Essence makes use of Dolby. Basicly in the same way that USB headsets do. Personally I regard surround sound headsets as gimmicks. 3D positional sound is basicly just as good, and can be accomplished just fine in any headphones with a decent soundstage. You also have to consider that you'll get much better sound quality out of normal headphones with a similar cost.

However if you do not buy a soundcard capable of emulating surround sound, then yes your stereo headphones would remain as just that.

As a sign of good will, you might want to check out the Sennheiser PC 363D Headset. I've read very good things about it, well except for the price tag.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-11 at 03:07 PM.