PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Am I the only one that just doesn't the hype for Guild Wars 2?
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-14, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Docs
Private

Re: Am I the only one that just doesn't the hype for Guild Wars 2?

There is a bit too much hype around it, but no matter how good a game is, too much hype isn't always a good thing. It's possible might just just not be your thing though. It's certainly a very interesting game to me, and I'll likely be playing it along side Planetside 2.

PvE wise, the dynamic events make up the bulk of your 'questing' experience unlike Warhammer which didn't have as many public quests. The vast majority of them scale down to a single person, so only events marked as group events require more players. They also all scale up to a large number of players too. They're all over the world, and some can have an effect on the world itself (It seems to be more common that they have an effect the higher level you get).

The personal quests are just more of a guide through the world I suppose, they give you a purpose, but you likely wont be doing them 100% of the time. I don't know which Race you went, but you get very different stories based off your race, choices made in character creation and choices made throughout the story. I have heard some people do something like the Norn area and not really enjoy the it all that much, but then tried the human area and found it to be much more enjoyable.

Overall though, it's a very different experience and way of levelling in Guild Wars 2 for me. Instead of being shackled to certain 'quest hubs' I can just go and explore, jump in to dynamic events as I see them happening and find skill points between doing story quests. Although many of the objectives can be similar to your standard MMO, they're presented in a very different way which gives you the freedom to just explore. Also because of the fact that you automatically get a share of loot and XP for killing mobs or doing events with other players without grouping, it's the first MMORPG I've played where people have so often just naturally started playing together in groups.

In terms of WvWvW, it is based off DAoC RvR as they have developers who worked on that game on their team. I've never played it before, but apparently everyone loved it in DAoC, and so far WvWvW has been great fun for me and most others. But then it may not be everyone's cup of tea.