PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-04, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #201
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
Yeah, I'm speaking as though for the silent majority, just like you are, on wanting what I personally want in game. You caught me being a hypocrit. Congrats. What you've seemed to miss is that they're not speaking like they're planning to add "hundreds maybe thousands" of skills to game, but that they are adding a number of skills that could number that high. They're further along than what the teaser would lead us to believe. We're looking at beta's soon even. A little late to be telling them to scrap the whole skill system.
Who's saying to scrap the whole skill system? Just don't include power in it. Implants upgrade options, vehicle qualifications, equipment qualifications...all still valid. The mechanics of the skill system don't need to change at all. We're only talking values here.

The game will not survive on just shooting people and taking land. Accept that PS2 is NOT PS1. Personal measurable progression is the driving force behind gaming anymore, even if it shouldn't be. Territory comes and goes, but my MA skill rank being 4 is forever until I decide to untrain it.
So say you - what evidence do you have to back up your claim? I have examples of real games to back up mine. Want another? Counter-strike. Still highly popular on the top 20 on steam. Another? Team Fortress 2. No progression, still being played and highly popular.