PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Flails and snipers and draw distance (oh my)
View Single Post
Old 2011-03-20, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: Flails and snipers and draw distance (oh my)

Sniping should allow headshots. Thats the point of sniping, to have to be very precise.

Not trying to bring the headshot thread here, but i'm gonna post this anyway.

imo, these are the two best ways to implement headshots.

-only sniper rifles can get headshots, which are one hit kills. To balance this in CQC, the crosshairs are large when you're not scoped in (like in CoD).

-Headshot ammo. A headshot does more damage (NOT ONE HIT KILL NECESSARILY) and a body shot does significantly less damage.

Example: Lets say an MCG firing standard rounds kills in 10 bullets. the target has 100 hp and each hit does 10 damage. If you use headshot rounds and only hit the body, it takes 30 hits (3.33 damage per shot) If you hit their head however, it only takes 5 hits (20 damage per shot). Using these headshot rounds would probably be a disadvantage to you, because the MCG is inaccurate.

Example 2: The suppressor (standard assault rifle). again, 10 hits, 10 damage a piece. Headshot rounds are also 3.33 for bodyshots and 20 for headshots. Because the suppressor is a much more accurate gun (I'm also hoping for iron sights for the non-HA weapons) it would be much more advantageous to use headshot rounds if you're willing to take your time and place your shots.

Example 3: The bolt driver. I think the bolt driver does 70 damage out of 100? We'll use that as the base for now. Nobody wants to go through the trouble of hitting someone (calculating bullet drop, travel time, enemy's future position, wind??) only to have them flinch a bit and keep running. Headshot ammo with a sniper rifle would increase the damage to 100 (kill any non-MAX infantry) with a headshot, and reduce the damage to 49 for a non-headshot. The reason the damage is so high for a non headshot is because the normal distance you will be sniping people is so large that headshots will be very difficult to get, especially if the target is sprinting.