PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - An ORIGINAL Planetside 2
View Single Post
Old 2010-04-19, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Vancha
Colonel

Re: An ORIGINAL Planetside 2

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
CR5s have always felt that zerg-herding was like pulling teeth; I am seeing squad and platoon missions as being methods of getting the zerg do follow the guidance of ultimately the CR5s. By giving them tasty experience rewards and merits for simply completing missions we should get more people doing so. The zerg is selfish; it has always gone for the biggest fights rather than the tactical choice which usually results in them hitting the closest base until it cracks. By giving them more XP for following orders rather than just butting heads with the enemy you can get them working for the CR5s. Look at support XP; when that was implemented many more players started being a lot more supportive; not necessarily because they wanted to help, but because they wanted the XP.
I had a thought similar to this, but I also thought you might end up with a lot of people who resented "missing out" on XP by preferring to play their own way. The support XP worked because it rewarded people who before, were missing out on XP by helping the empire. It allowed people to play other roles and still benefit. I agree that some kind of reward system would help commanders guide the zerg, but I think you need to be careful not to have people missing out too much if they decide they'd rather do their own thing.

Also, you said you want companies to help with zerg herding, but go on to say it's CR5s who give out the missions to help control the zerg. Are you sure that whatever roles you have in mind for companies couldn't be adequately filled by CR5s?

The only objection I have to a single galactic commander is that he's the only one who can global. Personally I think both galactic and planetary command would be better spread among all the CR5s, but your system might work too...I'm still not sure how planetary commanders are decided though.

Wait a second...If planetary commanders are the only ones who decide primary/secondary targets, what can the other CR5s do to continue gaining CEP, apart from leading squads/platoons (infringing on lower CR's territory)? Between the galactic commander, planetary commander and company leader, you have 3 CR5s getting CEP for taking planets/bases...add another 2 CR5s for a planetary commander and company leader fighting on another planet, so you end up with 5 CR5s getting CEP out of an empires-worth?