PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Live Streams with Commentators In Lieu of ESports
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Re: Live Streams with Commentators In Lieu of ESports

Originally Posted by OutlawDr View Post
I've also been thinking this is a more realistic approach rather than true esports.

Think about it as war correspondent covering a battle. However is this enough to capture the attention of players? Why would you want to spend time watching it? Would you watch this over just playing it? With esports you watch top teams play the game at its highest level, and most matches don't last more than an hour (depending on the game). You learn from them, and awe at their awesomeness.
But with this, you could be watching for longer, since there is no clear end point. And instead of watching pros, it could simply be your friends and outfit members, at which point you want to log in and play with them, or against whoever is being covered. Again, whats going to make people want to watch over playing the game?

Maybe as an after battle report. Something that summarizes what happened, but after the fact. I think there will be problems with a live stream thats following the battle as it happens. Unless people are both playing and watching the live stream simultaneous...I could see a demand for that.
There are many reasons I would want to watch
  1. I am at work and want to see whats going on on my IPad app.
  2. I am already playing but want to see what the battle on Esamir is progressing and I am using my IPad app with the global webcast to keep tabs on the global battle while focusing on the battle I am in.
  3. I want to see tactics developed by outfits on other servers.

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
I like the idea of PlanetSide having Starship Troopers style media reports.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Live streaming doesn't make it e-sports, that would still be part of the main game. Isn't it one of the main requirements of e-sports that weapons and certs must be standardized for all competitors? You need an instance to do that, it can not be done in the main game. And e-sports often prefer infantry only and no vehicles. That can't be done in the main game either.

Having a separate e-sports division and instances does not do anything to change the main game's focus on 2000 players. People act like if there are instances that no one will ever play the main game. I doubt that there is anything to worry about, but I propose a solution that might ease your minds:

Make it so that you can only open the e-sports instance when it is an official match that counts. This way, the only way people can practice for the e-sports would be by playing in the main game world and the ultimate result would be that, worst case scenario, a few players spend 4-5 hours per week in official matches.
Yes, in ESports the weapons or loadouts are often standardized for each team, this is often called comps. Infantry only is preferred in some. As you point out, neither of these can be offered by the game in its current state. So while some may want ESports teams to come to PS2, the lack of these tools could mean ESports teams will not want to come to PS2. Most teams like to practice on their own servers when they want to perfect their strats.

It's like telling a pro team they'll have to start practicing on a pub. No one from outside will come here for that.

What I'm proposing is kind of like a happy medium that allows anyone at any time to be in the spotlight.

PS1 was like a big huge competitive match 24/7. Tactics were built around the zerg. Using the open world as a variable in the strategy and getting on the forums to brag about your conquests was why the game was the best "pub" ever made. I'm just suggesting we take that part of PS1 to the next level.