PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #135
Really
Private

Re: Cockpit View - should it be forced? More options.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Then don't fly a camera. Request a decent cockpit view that does not overly restrict your view by spending 25% of the screen on superfluous detail that has no reason for existing.

The problem with games is they are always trying to 'prove' how realistic they are by taking up more of the already greatly restricted field of view. Its like driving from the 1st person view in car games. Absolutely nothing at all like the real thing, and just makes it seem claustrophobic.

Yes, I know. They have no purpose for being there. You can make bubble canopies that shape. The model was designed to look cool, not for any sort of functionality. Then they based the cockpit off the model, and now we have to deal with it. Lol.. I can't wait to mouselook around that(which would be the only reason to have 3d cockpits).. Extremely thick horizontal bars at eye level, and absolutely zero visibility to the rear...

I can't wait to see what the Reavers cockpit is going to look like, either. The bracing on that one is just ridiculous. And as previously mentioned, the vanu has the 'block my vision please' cylon raider styling.
I basically couldn't agree with this post more. For some reason if half of my screen is taken up by what's little more than a glorified desk, I'm supposed to enjoy it more. Yeah it looks nice, but so does the actual game - I could be seeing 50% more of that if this massive UI wasn't covering it all up.

I'm not sure whether it's been completely overlooked or is being used as a balance measure for aircraft (since anyone that claims they weren't ridiculous in PS1 is lying - I know, I barely ever leave a reaver any more ); whichever it is, both the bottom section and the huge bars up either side are just gonna piss me off the entire time.

It's like when you're driving round a corner that's just the right curvature, and the pillar manages to get RIGHT in the way the entire time. Why the hell aren't they made out of clear plastic or something