PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - AMS Mk.3 design (for when it does get into PS2)
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-23, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: AMS Mk.3 design (for when it does get into PS2)

Originally Posted by Jinxsey View Post
Integrate the AMS and the sundie if you -realy- want to reinvent it. But driving an AMS was a chore and it makes little actual sense to have an unarmed single-use vehicle in a game so heavily focused on all-arms combat.
If you think it was a chore, don't do it and let others who do like it (like all of my outfit) drive.

Like how everyone in my outfit ALLIANCE hates the driver-gunner idea because it's dumb and takes away from driving.

You may need to think again on why it's important in a game without killing people directly. Because it's an indirect unit. Think about that for a bit.

You know. How the game fails because all-arms combat can't be done because of travelling times that the AMS is there to cut short. Travelling times of over 25 seconds are too long to make headway in a busy area - if you paid attention you'd have noticed that this is why the AMS keeps moving closer to the enemy postion and a well placed AMS means EVERYTHING between victory and defeat.

AMS driving was not boring, it was an art, one that you apparently not really appreciate. That's fine, but don't proclaim it useless because you don't care for it yourself. Which tbh, is weird - any decent PS1 player knows the value of an AMS, why do you think it's such a high priority to take out? It is far, far, FAR more dangerous than a tower after all! So getting one in a good position while under (preferably avoiding) enemy fire is not a chore, it's an absolute thrill!

Not every unit has to be able to fight directly to be fun!

Your argument is just as empty as the argument "but driving was a chore and boring!" even though our outfit was completely about driving and we LOVED doing it for the entirety of PlanetSide!

We primarily used Sundies, Thunderers and Deliverers btw. But virtually each and everyone of us had AMS certs because it was just too important not to have and then a back up or two. It was absolutely vital to have to sustain combat and attack positions without being predictable and without it being taken out while you were moving on your objective. After which you'd relocate it again and again. Or for example would use it with a Router, or would use it for infiltrators. Or would use it to set up a new front. Or would use it to reclaim terrain. Driving an AMS was not just important, it was vital. To dismiss it like you do is utterly ridiculous. PS1 could not have worked without an AMS, it was in fact probably the most important unit of all!

And last I checked, PS1 was also completely about combat!

So would be nice you could explain what "chore" entails for you, because you currently don´t make an argument, you just claim something is a chore without backing up this statement. For the record, if you think an AMS was a single use vehicle, that says more than enough about your trackrecord with it. Or rather lack there of. For the only one not "making any sense" right now, is you.

Don't really want to sound denegrating, nothing personal, but unargumented and tbh rather naive remarks like yours really piss me off. :/

I mean, do you have any idea how rewarding and satisfying it is that YOUR AMS turns the tide of a battle? Or YOU taking out the enemy AMS turns the tide of the battle? No? Man, you've missed out!

Last edited by Figment; 2012-06-23 at 06:20 PM.