PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Help a Brit build his PC!
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-12, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: Help a Brit build his PC!

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Seriously, avoid OCUK.

3570k - $167.90
MSI 77A-G43 - £76.47
Palit GTX 670 - £294.99
RAM - £34.00
Crucial M4 SSD - £86.99 + Seagate 1TB HDD £64.99
580w 80+ Gold PSU - £77.93
LG DVD-RW £13.98
Dark Knight CPU Cooler - £24.74
Corsair Carbide 300R - £53.49
Win7 Home Premium - £67.43

Total: 965.31

Better SSD and PSU to boot (though hell, you might as well get a Dark Power Pro 10 550W with your budget). You could bump the CPU cooler to a Xigmatek Prime or Dark Rock 2 (not pro 2), which are both decent and very quiet. I'd also get a different case, but that's down to personal taste (personally, a Fractal Arc with Silentwings 2 fans, one side intake, one rear exhaust and one front intake for the HDD+SSD sounds nice).
I don't claim to be knowledgeable about the best UK retailers, OCUK just came up as one of the top Google results, and I've seen it mentioned here before. And the CPU is out of stock at that site.

Also, since he is overclocking his rig, and wants to get the most out of it, I'm going to assume that he isn't going to overclock just the CPU. I would recommend more than 580W PSU for that - if you hit your PSU's limit, the best case scenario is instability; the worst case is that the PSU dies, and takes a few other components along for the ride. This is one situation where overkill is a good thing.

Other than that, I don't see too much difference in what you recommended. And I will be paying attention to the partpicker site in the future.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-06-12 at 06:44 PM.