PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Future of Religion
View Single Post
Old 2014-02-04, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: The Future of Religion

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
What if you take into account the idea that technology and knowledge can eventually eliminate scarcity, the central underpinning of every modern economic system? For instance, humanity utilizing renewable energy sources, possibly fusion energy, and harvesting the seemingly endless amount of minerals and elements from elsewhere in the solar system rather than ruining Earth?

If power and food and all the base necessities of life were to become 100% pervasive throughout all human societies, where would religion, as it is now, then fit in?
Here's a basic example, I think I don't need to elaborate any further:
John loves Mary. They date.
Mike loves Mary. She doesn't love him.
Mike is jealous and is not satisfied with what he has.

Mike is a human being and is prone to emotions. That means that whatever his quality of life is, he can still be unsatisfied with it, as long as he can feel.

What's also worth mentioning really is that if we talk about MASS religion, it's nothing more than a tool to control people. Just like government, or any other similar instance. And thus, as long as what I stated above is true, religion will exist. Moreover - scientific approach is also a religion, no matter how hard people want to deny it.

PS Food for thought - math implies the existence of infinity that doesn't have a number or form. How's that any different from believing in god? Actually, as a whole - science doesn't deny what cannot be proven, and thus it's just as imperfect as religion.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.