PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - I made a thing (Terran Propaganda Piece)
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-29, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: I made a thing (Terran Propaganda Piece)

Originally Posted by TheDrone View Post
Sure, it does sound kinda totalitarian to deny other regimes to break-off.

And if you want to do something different, ... Why not use non-violent ways through the democratic process? Using terrorism to spread your message isn't only completely immoral but destroys your legitimacy. As is clear from the background texts released the TR only abandoned large portions of the democratic process (after a vote actually) because they could not contain the rampant NC terrorism.
There were options, but they chose to scheme and plot.

And again, context is important.
The world has seen what 'something different" can result in. Almost the destruction of the species.
Experiments in tribalism and anarchy (not even anarchism) being propagated by the NC are the very reason humanity stood at the brink.

As the power of mankind increases exponentially, so should our vigilance in wielding it.
So it's probably not going to get any better than the Pax Republica Terrae.
Democracy in this form can be defined as a tyranny. The NC never tried to go through these methods (at least not to our knowledge, the backstory could do with a LOT of fleshing out, I'd buy multiple books) because they knew full well what would happen. A democratic vote to decide whether a small group should be allowed to live outside of Terran Republic law? How do you think that would go down in any political regime today? It wouldn't at all. Just look at almost any small group in history that wanted to become an independent country, they ALL had to fight for it. Most notable today is probably the Palestine-Israel conflict.

The NC knew full well they'd have to fight for their recognition, so they have. I love the TR, I can't possibly see them as anything other than an absolutist mechanical regime though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_absolutism

Morality and law is dictated by the people within a society, throughout history morals have changed constantly, what is right and wrong changes all the time, Shakespeare said along the lines of "There is no right or wrong, but thinking makes it so". The point being that rights and wrongs are dictated by the people living within each society and another society should not negatively judge others for their views or perspective as they are just that - views and perspective, just as their own. In a multiculturalist society you get multiculturalist morality. In a single society you get moral absolutism and tyranny.

Entertainingly Kant believed in moral absolutism AND hated the tyranny of the majority, but mainly only because utilitarianism is the majority's view. Democracy can in fact be viewed as a tyranny in and of itself, it is the tyranny of the majority, the majority exert their power over the minority purely because there is more of them. The right and wrong in that is easy to argue, what is inherently wrong with allowing the minority to have their views as well as the majority? It's an interesting topic.

I love being a cog in the TR oppressive war machine but I really wouldn't want to live in a world(universe) with just a single society and the absolute inability to separate from said society and create a new one with the minority's views and laws. It would be horrible. At least in the world today it's not particularly difficult any more to fuck off somewhere else where you don't have to live under government and laws you disagree with.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com