PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-17, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]

We get it cutter, you don't like the obstruction because you want to see what's down there. I want to see what's behind grass, shrubs, and shadows too but they're in the game for the reason of making it harder for me to see them.

Naturally we prefer unobstructed views and dont' like artificially imposed restrictions. That's why I think the biggest mistake was the we were shown flight without the cockpit and then the cockpits went in. We got a glimpse of the clear blue sky we could have had and then had it taken away. That was a bad thing for them to show us before it was done. But GDC had to happen and flight is one of the cooler things in Planetside...welp.

The discussion we should be having is not whether you can turn on or off cockpits. The discussion should be what is the right level of obstruction for the cockpit and what the developer design intent is.

For example, I dislike the bars on the sides of the Mosquito cockpit. It looks like the Reaver will have similar bars, and we don't know whether the VS one will have them. I think they're too big and occupy too much of the screen. I'll live with it of course if it doesn't change, but I generally don't like that sort of obstruction. But it might be they wanted to make it a little more restricted and all of the aircraft have it. Or maybe it wasn't intended to be that restrictive and they'll change it.

It would help to get some infos from Higby on what the design intent is with the cockpits and whether they can be scaled back a bit to give us a more clear view but still maintain any sort of air-to-ground view obstruction they want to have.