PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - North Carolina pastor calls for death of gays
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-23, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: North Carolina pastor calls for death of gays

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
So your saying if this guy did not have religion as a "foundation" for his "Monuments to Hate", he would a well-adjusted member of society?
Hey guys, I'm back, just went to get some water.

Hey wait a second. Who put this man-shaped pile of straw in my seat? Rude. *kick*

What I'm saying is that people like him have an audience because the 'harmless' religious moderates give him a stage and an unassailable legitimacy. You can call him crazy all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that he is being biblically accurate, and for as long as the bible is given any kind of authority in our society, we will have guys like him to look forward to.

Now the problem, from a practical standpoint, aren't guys like him. Oh, no. It's the people sitting in the pews, listening to him, and quietly nodding their heads. And then those people go out and vote. And the constitution gets amended to criminalize homosexuals.

And where do religious moderates come in? Well, if you try to attack that guy's credibility; I mean, really attack it, at the root, you have to go at the credibility of the bible, because that's where he's getting it from. And then you're in a world of hurt, because all those smiling, gentle moderates will suddenly stop being quite as supportive of you as you might have originally thought.