PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Low FPS? Ailos' guide to having a better experience.
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-12-02, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Re: Low FPS? Ailos' guide to having a better experience.

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
That is a very good point. I'll update the OP with that information in a little bit.
It's an EXTREMELY important point. As a coder, it's come to the point where you have to treat some kinds of memory access the same way we treat hard disk or network access - the slowest of the slow.

When I first started in this industry (and this will show my age) I was working on a 65c02 processor, where memory was the only option. There was no cache. The SNES and Genesis both had faster processors, but still no cache. The first machine I worked on with a real cache system was PC's with the intel 386, but since the PC market didn't have them everywhere you couldn't rely on it.

Since I cut my teeth on systems where you (quite literally) counted every machine cycle I still cringe at even some of the basic C++ constructs (cough-cough-virtual-functions-cough-cough) that other coders take for granted.