PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - How much does Planetside 2 really cost you?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-20, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Re: How much does Planetside 2 really cost you?

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
I am not spending a cent upgrading and I only have mediocre specs:

Intel Core2 Quad Q9495 @2.66Hz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard

My plan is only to upgrade when the next generation of consoles hits the market. When that happens I will fork out for the best hardware I can buy, thus making sure I have a great computer for PC games for a few years, and way beyond minimum specs for any console-ported game for the next 6-8 years (until the subsequent generation of consoles after this next one is released).
Yeah, I'm pretty much thinking the same thing. The last time I did a motherboard upgrade(Sept. 2007), I bought an Asus P5K-VM motherboard, because it could handle the whole range of Core2 processors and it has solid capacitors, onboard video, and 4 DIMM slots, so built to last. I always buy something with onboard video, so as to not be tempted to get raped buying a new video card locally rather wait a couple of days for a delivery from newegg lol... However, I now have 3 pci-e video cards kicking around, so no worries about being without video.

I'll stick with my setup for a few more years, unless the CPU speed proves to be a hindrance in PS2, as it's perfectly awesome for everything else that I do. Heck, it even plays the heavily CPU dependent EQII really well...

Asus P5K-VM Motherboard
Core2 Quad Q8200 (2.3GHz)
6GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
GTS 450 1GB GDDR5

It's too bad that there aren't any inexpensive socket 775 upgrades like there were back in the Pentium Overdrive days! Really sucks crap that I bought the Q8200 when it launched, because ones 6 months later supported VT and I can't run a 64bit VM without VT. And it's not worth upgrading now, because I could get an AMD based mobo/video/ram for the cost of a socket 775 quad. Really too bad that Core2s never had the price drop that the core i3/5s had. That did not go as I had planned ( P4 > Core2 Duo > Core2 Quad > Core2 Quad again), so I stuck with the low end quad, because it works and anything better isn't worth the money...

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-07-20 at 09:28 AM.