PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Are these parts adequate for my new custom-made PC?
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-05, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Are these parts adequate for my new custom-made PC?

Yeah, I was being cheeky. I think we just have different priorities. I like reliability and consistency - not opening up X in a few months and wondering why it's going so slowly. I'd rather shift around the games I'm playing at the time to a dedicated drive and know it'll be consistently fast and I'd rather things I'll only do once be fast (moving files, compressing/extracting, installing etc.)

The fact that an SSD cache will only speed up frequently used programs and the fact that it does it's own thing, as opposed to a dedicated SSD which does what you want, when you want, means I can't recommend it over an independent SSD to someone who'd need to ask. Having said that, I realize no one asked, so whatever.

And yeah, I have to be pedantic, sorry. I'd be pissed if I was told something was seamless (i.e. expecting an SSD cache to make my HDD perform identically to an SSD), and ended up discovering it wasn't. It wouldn't matter if it was just us arguing crap, but when it could decide how someone spends a decent amount of their money...

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-09-05 at 08:35 PM.