PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Can Endgame/Metagame help drive PS2 to continued success?
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-14, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Kumoblade
Corporal

Re: Can Endgame/Metagame help drive PS2 to continued success?

Aye, PlanetSide did/still does have massive battles. Thats a blessing and a curse depending on what end of barrel you're on. In Massive battles, the fights require lots of patience. Post-Surgiles (oh God I miss it) will find themselves getting mowed down by tons of gunfire as they go charging in, respawn/repeat and eat it again.

Thus, largescale fights can get quite frustrating. As an Adamant Surge addict, I loved a run and gun gamestyle that Surging provided, and I did find myself getting frustrated in aggressive combat styles before having to hold myself back. Watching that death respawn timer growing and growing got old ha ha.

This also applies if you're getting stomped, etc.. and you feel every respawn is more of the game than the action is, be it being outnumbered 3/1 and your comrades are giving up and going elsewhere, etc...

that's the nature of the beast though with large battles. I'm a guy coming from Doing great in Unreal tournament series and quake to a more tactical version of this game (post surgile) where dodging/avoiding gunfire isn't based on your reflexes as you move so slowly when out in the open you're just dead meat.

Anyways, I don't know where I was going with that other than to bring it up as i'm a bit absent minded due to Server training. ha ha. But yes, PlanetSide does have large battles going for it.

As well, many games are trying to market themselves as MMOs which are merely instances with an interactive lobby. The interactive lobby is what they feel merits a subscsription instead of it being a client Side GUI with Host/Client setup independently for each game.

Its just them trying to cash in on stupidity, fortunately, its a failing marketting scheme. CrimeCraft has done Absolutely HORRIBLE with this marketting strategy. The same goes with Aurean's Fury if anybody remembers that game. Coincidentally both use the Unreal 3 engine. Fury was a PVP based lobby game that was so rediculously fast you couldn't keep up. it wasn't an FPS by any means. It was 3rd person action/combat in an RPG layout. It was atrocious.

I hope PlanetSide doesn't follow that scheme. But technically, thats what planetside was as well. an Interactive lobby (Sanctuary) with instanced battles. just very large instances that can support 100+ people per side. You couldn't fly between zones because they were all instances. same with the caves, as you had to be teleported down to them.