Accuser
Sergeant Major

Re: Science vs Religion

Let's put it this way:
A men wrote the Bible
B men are fallible
then
C the Bible may be flawed

More specifically though, I'm against the idea that God decided that adulterers should be stoned to death. Oh, but then He changed his mind and decided to "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Where the hell was the compassion back before that? Did the omnipotent, eternal, unchanging, loving and just God wake up one morning and say "You know what... I think we've brutally murdered enough adulterers, let's stop that."

And Abraham... the founder of Christianity, Islam and Judaism... You see a guy getting ready to slice his son's throat open, you ask him what's up, he says "God told me to kill him". Call the cops? Try to save the kid? Hell no! Make him your religious leader!

Oh, and when he impregnates his two daughters, do you call Child Protective Services? Do you have him on Jerry Springer for having a F**KED UP family? NO! His sons are to be the kings of nations! And He surely is God's prophet.

And I'd like to see someone read Revelations with a straight face. John says "On the Lord's day, I was in the spirit" and goes on to say he saw a vision of Christ where "Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.'" Now if you ask me, "in the spirit" is one HELL of a drug.

And it's this ridiculous and self-contradicting book that we're supposed to acquire the wisdom of an eternal, serene, CONSISTENT, just and loving God? That my friend, requires faith.

EDIT:
Malorn: It seems that your point is that -most- of the Bible is good for society. Why would we expect a book directly inspired by an all-powerful and all-knowing God to be "mostly good"? I wouldn't expect God to lay out the scientific details of the beginning of life and the Universe to ancient desert tribesmen... but a consistent morality would be a damn good start!

And why would a God of the entire Earth (and Universe) only reveal these divine teachings to a fraction of humanity? The entire Western Hemisphere didn't learn about monotheism until a couple of hundred years ago! Why would God let them fend for themselves morally, if the Bible is the direct moral compass inspired by God?

Last edited by Accuser; 2011-09-21 at 07:26 PM.