PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Theory: How Resources Are Distributed Based on GDC Footage
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-20, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Theory: How Resources Are Distributed Based on GDC Footage

Originally Posted by Asp View Post
I like the idea for sure, but while the game will definitely track lots of stats that could be analyzed; I'd bet it would be a huge endeavor to get the game to award resources on the fly based on those stats.. Damage done to an enemy = XP is one thing, but damage + support + "just being there" = resources / # of players present, would get to be a lot of number crunching ongoing, all the time. That and what happens if parts of my contribution to the battle take place slightly outside whatever is considered the boundaries of the battle for that resource.

I like the idea, I just imagine taking it from a simple incentive to fight, to a full blown (most likely constant balance requiring) crucial game mechanic is a lot more work than we may realize it is..

This would be a good way to integrate the mission system as an additional way to get people who participate properly rewarded.

I think that there could also be value in class-specific missions that are personal in nature, also this could be automatically generated by the mission system based on the stat tracking.

If there is a lack of medics noticed by the mission system by way of an empire having a less than optimal amount of healing, the system could incentivize [spellcheck says that word doesn't exist] playing that class to make up for an empire's moment-to-moment lack of that playstyle.

The mission system is a dynamic system and as a result it could be used to shore up deficiencies based on the needs of an empire at any given time by rewarding under represented playstyles.