PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Our Lovely TSA strikes again
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-25, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Our Lovely TSA strikes again

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
We already were. As I said. Before the TSA and the body scanners and pat downs, and including everyone that died as a result of 9/11, airline travel was already ridiculously safe.

Cars, bikes, and motorcycles are all far more dangerous even without the threat of terrorism. If you think airlines needed to be made safer than they already were, you do not understand statistics, since by any measure they are safe even with minimal security. People have an irrational fear of terrorism fueled by the headline grabbing nature of the extremely rare incidents, even though you're dozens of times more likely to die on your commute to work.

I would, without worry, climb on to an airplane with absolutely NO security, because there is no risk to it. There have been 75 hijackings since 1950, and several hundred million or perhaps even billions of flights. This is a figure so statistically insignificant as to be irrelevant for any rational discussion. Yes, security prevented many hijackings, and they responded to those with the reasonable, fast, effective, and non intrusive precaution of having metal detectors and xray machines.

There is no terrorist threat.
Exactly.