PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Don't bother with the Twitter key giveaways
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-14, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

Re: Don't bother with the Twitter key giveaways

Originally Posted by TheBear View Post
Yup. I have to call bots. Unless there are simply THAT many people trying to enter codes (which I really hope is the case, and possible)
I have to doubt the bots claim, because I got one of the scrambled public ones myself a couple days ago (after a day or two of trying). I didn't mention it until yesterday because I was concerned someone might try to hack my station account, but considering that the vast majority of people here appear to be PS1 players, and many others are acquiring PC Gamer keys, anyone with a twitter key is probably far lower priority if anyone was actually going to try to hack accounts.

Originally Posted by TheBear View Post
I had the day off, and I had tweet deck open with an account I created for a friend (Already have 2 vet accounts signed up).. Copy and pasta'd probably 30 or so codes @ under 5 seconds from tweet.

No luck.
5 seconds is too slow.

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Hackers with bots claim all your keys sadly ... it seams all the beta keys are gone whithin 3 seconde or less !

I think you guys should post all the beta keys in a ((Picture format ))
I'll also note that I didn't use any scripts or bots. I had Seesmic Desktop 2 open (seemed more effective than TweetDeck) on one monitor, and on another monitor I had the key entry page open (and had to keep stopping it from logging me out, or log back in if it did). When one of the PS2 staff posted a 5-part scrambled tweet, I started typing it into the key entry box (not trying to copy and paste it). For the one I won, I started with the first section, and while typing it, found the next section, then while typing that one, found the next section, etc, since it is not difficult to keep something in memory and do something with it while also doing something else and not looking at it. It wasn't until I took that approach that I was able to do it fast enough to get one of the keys. (Prior to that I had been typing, looking for the next section, typing, looking for the next section, and not getting them)

For the split-in-two-posts ones I was copying and pasting, and was always too slow on those, despite using mouse-select, ctrl-c, alt-tab, ctrl-v, enter.

I expect there were a ridiculous number of people trying to get the codes, so it doesn't surprise me that it took me over a day to get one, and that I had to keep improving how fast I was until I got one (and that I had to use an external twitter program to receive the tweets, but I was doing that from the beginning because I knew twitter itself would be too delayed).

Originally Posted by Notturno View Post
I think it's become painfully obvious there are bots farming the keys. They had the right idea on Facebook to put the keys into an image format to stop the bots, but I think the damage has already been done at this point. It would be a safe bet to say that when those accounts are accepted, you will see them go up for sale.
There were a ridiculous number of people trying to get these keys. Now, I don't know if the numbers have gone up or down in recent days - I have no way to know, really. I'm sure SoE could probably tell if they wanted to (just set up the key entry server-side script to track how many people try and fail to get a key within 60 seconds or so).

Originally Posted by Notturno View Post
Writing a program to copy and paste data into a field is a trivial matter and isn't something that takes days to complete. It's something quite easily doable and feasible in a situation like this. Especially when you consider how we've seen next to nobody claiming to win the random text Twitter beta keys. Plenty of people have won them through direct messages, but it's an extreme rarity to here anyone winning one from the random text posts.
You would still have to descramble the keys (only slightly more effort, still) or assemble multiple tweets. Personally, I didn't write a program to harvest keys, because it wouldn't have been fair to anyone else trying to get a key.

Finally, I think you overestimate the chances of people saying "I won!" and underestimate the chances of them being paranoid about being hacked and losing their station account.

Last edited by Trafalgar; 2012-06-14 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Ninja edit