Thread: Role of MAXs
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-05, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: Role of MAXs

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I don't understand what you are saying exactly here. In PS1 the MAX's had a niche. Nothing was anything like them. And your missing the main thing that sets them apart, the MAX abilities.

They have confirmed that each MAX will have it's own ability and function. We may not know what these are yet but for the sake of arguement lets say the TR MAX still locks down and deploys. How is this any less specific and niche than a jumpjet on a LA?

No hate, just saying.
PS1 did a lot of things poorly, and its implementation of MAXs was bad, in my opinion. Going the same route for PS2 isn't any more acceptable, although with how distinct the other classes are from each other it does make it more egregious in my opinion.

MAX abilities are combat junk. Lockdown, shield, and something else for the VS. And something not unlike the run mode from PS1. None of that is terribly important. The class will still be in direct competition with heavy assault for the title of "king of walking around shooting stuff with guns and doing literally nothing else".

I would have rather they went a totally different direction with the MAXs. Give them a style of combat which is unlike any of the other classes. I remember, before they were described in much detail, I envisioned them as being turned into a close combat class. I think that's the way they should have gone. Given them regular infantry shields (just a lot of it), good speed and mobility, and various melee weapons, flamethrowers, and other stuff. Give Planetside its first close range killer.