PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Should states or regions of a country standardize their laws?
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-19, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Should states or regions of a country standardize their laws?

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Is corruption equal everywhere ? Are cultures equal everywhere ? Are climates identical everywhere ?
Well when we get to the point of a standard law system there will be a unified culture. Or at least a unified morality. As cultures begin mixing more there will be laws that are identical and pulled out as the basis for an objective law system. (Probably will be a few hundred years though). You can already find many objective laws that exist with varying punishments, like for murder. The big debate though with some laws is their current implementation. For instance, in the US we have states that are experimenting with the death penalty system. A huge part of that is cultural between regions. Same thing for say drug laws. Some states are going more toward rehabilitation methods rather than a purely criminal direction. We've already seen what can happen if the federal level is allowed to control that. We end up with prohibition and drastic decisions with no experimentation with alternatives.

The important thing is that a law system can't be forced. (An example being prohibition or Sharia law, though non-secular law systems are inherently flawed). Laws grow and evolve with cultures and it requires a lot of experimentation and discussion to find the best system. Having a purely centralized system would probably make change difficult. You don't have to look further than our current US legislature to understand how hard small changes are to make.

I think I'd say from my previous post that standardization is something that comes about naturally as independent states agree on issues. It's already happening all over the world slowly, but it's just not immediately obvious with more extreme issues.