PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - A way to give people a grand purpose
View Single Post
Old 2014-03-23, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A way to give people a grand purpose

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
This is because PS1 had empire home continents with continent locking and the intercontinental lattice existed. That was the overarching meta-game in PS1 and IMO is what makes Planetside unique from other FPS games. It gives the feeling of war across an entire planet instead of just on individual maps that have no connection to each other.
While those mechanics were what allowed for metagame, for me it was what those mechanics enabled. The strategic shift of population and the application of same. You could put a squad in a gen in the one enemy tech plant on the cont and they would not only be a useful asset (rather than that squad in PS2 who's capping outpost XXX for no discernible strategic reason) but they could be vital to the CR5's plan on a totally different continent.
A poor example: You hold the gen down on the base a link back because you can't directly assault the NC's interfarm while they still have superboosted pain fields. Some of the NC shift back to deal with that while CR5's call for more support on Esamir. This draws enemy reinforcements away from your real objective (assaulting a tech plant to open Amerish) and captures the attention of the leaders.

Fights not only had meaning, but there was a subtle interplay between the continents that I can't really explain.

Also, like Ruff said; Solsar and Hossin were always in danger of getting drained or hacked. Since Solsar and Hossin were 'ours' (in that I only started playing TR after the home cont switch), a lot of us were rather offended when say, PG or LMS, decided to give it a go.

Gimpy's partly right. A good outfit can carry you through some really boring times. God knows I would have quit this game a year ago if I wasn't rolling with BRTD but even that starts to wear thin as burnout sets in and the realization that we'll be waiting much longer than we had hoped for what most of us consider 'core gameplay' to get established. I'm fairly confident that, as an outfit, we've lost well over 50% of all of the Planetside veterans over this last year.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast