PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Squad Remote Artillery Vehicles
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-06, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Gonzo
Private

Re: Squad Remote Artillery Vehicles

While an artillery variant for the Lightning could work pretty well, I think a dedicated vehicle could be better.

One advantage to a dedicated artillery vehicle would be the ability to put a lot more customization in. It would be easier and less awkward to add a large variety of ammunition on a "purpose-built" SPG than add an equivalent number of varients to sort through on the Lightning(which will already have other weapon options).

And a variety of ammunition, i think, would be key to artillery implementation. Tactical ammunitions keep it from being limited to spamming explosives into a base hoping for kills to working with other players to provide different advantages along with simple fire support. Artillery could fire all sorts of specialty shells to make things more interesting. Penetrators for massive damage on direct hits vs Airbursting shells for better radius, smoke shells for cover, emp rounds, flares, etc. I could see being able to select 2 ammo types in a load out, so the arty has some flexibility.

I do think that drawing looks badass though. And I bet somesort of MLRS Sunderer would look pretty awesome-even if it doesn't quite make sense.