PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - PlanetSide 2 bases need toilets (immersion).
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-09, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

PlanetSide 2 bases need toilets (immersion).

Will there be toilets? PlanetSide 1 had no toilets. Hence people have always been full of crap.

Or in other words, how deep and realistic should base design be regarding what non-combat related stuff is present and thus how far the immersion goes?

I know it may not seem vital to most people here who just think in pew-pew-POW-BWAM, but it was quite nice to for instance see things like toilets pop up in the space station of Metroid Other M. The space station there "made sense" on a 'use level' for those who had been stationed there. (Aside from the morphball routes and puzzles, of course ).

So, who'd like to see more base sections with barracks with actual beds, science labs with actual labs and abandoned projects, hospital section (beyond the tiny Bio Lab room we had in PS1), kitchens, cantines, pie bakeries, officers' club, life support room, storage rooms, machinery and factory space, perhaps even the cleaner's cabinet. Hell, some cubicle offices for the TR administration for all I care.

Just little things that are placed such that you fight through them, but that they're a bit more than just the same type of installations that don't actually seem to have been designed as work or living space all the time.

Same for some little detail things like insects and minor fauna scurrying away or minding their own business. Just to make the outdoor environment feel more alive (PS1 always felt very empty and most other games out there have it now, so it would feel less real than those other games, even though this is a MMO and about a living, breathing world and those other games are often even just shoot 'm ups).

Thoughts?