PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Nerf teh Jack (Seriously, Machine gun, Mortar and Foxhole concepts)
View Single Post
Old 2004-02-12, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Vis, regarding towed weapons, I thought about it, but what�s the point of wasting towing on a tiny little 105 Mortar when you could save it for something like a 105 Howitzer? Or wasting it on a puny 25mm machine gun instead of saving it for a 88mm flatline AT/AA gun? Don't waste towing on tiny little things that the infantry can lug around, use it for stuff that needs to be towed. However speed penalties for carrying heavy mortars or MGs are a possibility. Haven't really thought about armor for the weapons though, but I�d go the route of making them tougher, you don't shoot the gun, you shoot the guy manning it.

Warborn, regarding the number available, with the steep cert cost of seven points, I don't think too many people would pick up the cert, so they shouldn't be too many. If you only allow them to only be placed in a specific place everyone will know how to outflank and defeat most of them in a week, especially since the devs love putting things in really shitty places. Not to mention it kills alot of the more creative uses too. Destroyable by boomers only I like.

Honestly, if they aren�t dug into the ground, they become death traps. There is a reason why people in combat zones typically live below ground. With a little creative coding they could probably pull it off, hell, we fell through the world often enough for a while. I�ve done it often enough, I�m well aware of how the ground is set up. I�m confident that if the devs really wanted to they could pull it off.

Minor addition to the basic emplacements I left out before, they would have sandbags that rise up a little ways, with the firing slots in those, but they would be unprotected from above. I would want fortified emplacements to carry over the overhang from the bunkers in game now. It should be a one in a million shot with a tank gun to land a shell inside, literally. Your gonna have to pound the sucker for a bit and try to kill them off when the 15-20 splash that gets through on a near miss while they�re throwing concentrated AV fire at you. However, if you manage to get close with infantry you could bounce a few grenades in or shoot a few rocklets at the slot, and deal extra damage due to the confined space. As far as basic ones, well, that�s what you get for not reinforcing it, sure you can clean up against infantry, but tanks will own you, plan ahead next time.

As far as protecting MG emplacements from snipers, the main defense is that you only show a very small part of your body in the first place, can easily hide and heal, and your weapon is built for suppressive fire. In all honestly sniping is a rip-off for most chars right now, it's balanced perfectly, but it's very specialized, so there aren't really all that many. PShield is getting a buff soon too, and since MGers job requires alot of standing still, it could also become very popular among them. They could also add a quick release function for lights and mediums in the field, so if they get sniped they can immediately cut and run, but the next time they secure the weapon to fire it takes a few seconds longer. Perhaps a small blasts shield for heavies? In the field heavies should be vulnerable anyway, they�re meant for defense. Don�t forget Mortars either, they could end up being the snipers bane, and the machine gunners.

As far as your modular bunker idea, I like it, but I can�t really think of a place to cram it in. I�ve already gone more then a little overboard on the ones I�ve got now. That�s the sort of thing I�d want to put inside the base walls at the gate though.

I was considering adding some various defense barriers such as blast shields, dragon�s teeth, angle iron and barbed wire, but I decided to leave that out of these posts. I might put them in a later post.

Firewolf, I�m well aware of what they said, this is concept, not gospel. It's how I think it would be ideal, I�m not deluded enough to think any of this is going to make it into PS in a recognizable form, I�m just bored.

I�m going to go make a pathetic attempt at a visual reference right now.

Edit: OK, fuck the visual aids, if someone with talent wants to help send me a pm.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2004-02-12 at 08:07 PM.