PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Nerf teh Jack (Seriously, Machine gun, Mortar and Foxhole concepts)
View Single Post
Old 2004-02-12, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Incompetent
Warborn, regarding the number available, with the steep cert cost of seven points, I don't think too many people would pick up the cert, so they shouldn't be too many.
Didn't see the cert cost. I think it's too high, in my opinion. Seven certs would make your character pretty one-dimensional. I know, "that's the price you have to pay", but I really don't think things should be balanced by their cert costs. At most, three certs with CE as prerequisite would do it. I don't think the developers really want to force people into a singular role, and making it seven would basically make an Engineer and little else out of them.

If you only allow them to only be placed in a specific place everyone will know how to outflank and defeat most of them in a week, especially since the devs love putting things in really shitty places. Not to mention it kills alot of the more creative uses too.
If the locations aren't placed in really stupid locations then it won't be so bad.

As for the bunkers being able to be flanked, sure, but that's to be expected. Setup mines, spitfires, and guys with guns and sticks to ensure you can't be flanked easily. Making static defenses which have no vulnerability takes away a lot of the fun of cracking open a base.

Honestly, if they aren�t dug into the ground, they become death traps. There is a reason why people in combat zones typically live below ground. With a little creative coding they could probably pull it off, hell, we fell through the world often enough for a while. I�ve done it often enough, I�m well aware of how the ground is set up. I�m confident that if the devs really wanted to they could pull it off.
People go underground in real life because a well built semi-underground bunker is harder to see, provides great protection from explosions except for direct hits (where even concrete would slowly become pulverised by prolonged barrages), and doesn't require much in the way of materials. It's a lot more cost efficient to dig into the ground, and plus, it's quick and relatively easy to do, which is important when you have dynamic battle-lines. Needless to say, however, these reasons aren't applicable in PS.

Anyway, I'm not sure how PS works on a technical level, but I really think that changing the ground itself to deform it would cause problems. Is it doable? Probably. Doable without any serious side effects or without requiring a huge time investment? I'm not so sure. Dave Georgeson said that deformable terrain was on his list of "things I wish I could add if I didn't have to worry about technical issues or anything", so it's obvious the desire is there, I just don't think it's feasible. As such, alternatives which require less work should be given some real consideration.

As far as protecting MG emplacements from snipers, the main defense is that you only show a very small part of your body in the first place, can easily hide and heal, and your weapon is built for suppressive fire. In all honestly sniping is a rip-off for most chars right now, it's balanced perfectly, but it's very specialized, so there aren't really all that many. PShield is getting a buff soon too, and since MGers job requires alot of standing still, it could also become very popular among them. They could also add a quick release function for lights and mediums in the field, so if they get sniped they can immediately cut and run, but the next time they secure the weapon to fire it takes a few seconds longer. Perhaps a small blasts shield for heavies? In the field heavies should be vulnerable anyway, they�re meant for defense. Don�t forget Mortars either, they could end up being the snipers bane, and the machine gunners.
I'm not so sure people manning the guns would be much safer. I'd know exactly where they're going to be coming up next, as the emplacement isn't moving, and even if I don't kill them, I could easily surpress them by shooting them immidiately, forcing them to withdraw or be killed. And from the ranges snipers can engage targets from, I guarentee you a machine gun will be useless in surpressing me instead. Trust me, without sniper defenses, people manning emplacements are doomed. They will be easy targets for all snipers, experienced and casual.