PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #129
Bonius
Sergeant

Re: Cockpit View - should it be forced? More options.

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
I see what you're saying. However, 3 monitors or TrackIR require extra hardware to be purchased on behalf of the player. And not many people have the money and/or the knowledge to obtain and configure such a setup. So it would be quite rare to begin with. However, it would do wonders to show off the Forgelight engine so as I said it'd be stupid for SOE not to include it barring development time or subsequent bugs appearing in the game from its inclusion.

OTOH, a cockpit on/off toggle costs nothing, would be available to 100% of the playerbase, is simple to turn on/off, and if there's no downside hardly anybody will use it outside of the few who are willing to be at a disadvantage in exchange for the immersion factor. Not the same thing. A much better example would be the weather and flora settings in PS1, which most people had turned off, because enabling it gave you no gameplay benefits and put you at a visibility disadvantage.

Technically Freelook doesn't actually require a cockpit - just a 1stPV. But you're right that could be another possible balance measure, and a good one too.

Okay you convinced me. I'd be fine with a cockpit toggle if turning it off either 1) prevented you from using freelook (assuming that's available in PS2 to begin with), or 2) decreased your FOV setting a bit so you're a little zoomed in but you lose a bit of your side-to-side view.
If the availability of triple monitor setups are so low, then wouldn't that be an even stronger incentive to block dynamic FoV? Those 1% that have that type of setup would be at a ridiculous advantage if we follow the same logic as the topic in this thread.

I prefer using cockpit view if it is available, in any game, since it usually offers a better feel for depth along with better perephial vision. Those two things are key in driving any type of vehicle.

And as the above stated (and yourself), limiting freelook to only work "in-cockpit" would balance things out quite nicely.