PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Vehicle Crew vs. Functionality Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-25, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Re: Vehicle Crew vs. Functionality Discussion

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I'm on the opposite spectrum usually. I hate vehicles with a lot of crew members.
I pray you're in the minority. Yes, everyone wants to kick as much ass as they possibly can. But this is a MMO shooter.

No single-player combat vehicle should be more powerful than a 2+ player combat vehicle in a similar role. Evar. Lightnings shouldn't be more effective than MBTs, at much of anything (running away? okay, I'll give you that one ). A PS2 Lightning with a pilot who's skills are all dedicated to improving a certain aspect of that lightning MIGHT be on par with an untrained crew in an MBT, but even that is pushing it a bit.

That's why I... err... disliked the BFRs so much back in the day. It let a single player dedicated ground combat vehicle (bfr) beat the crap out of a two-player dedicated ground combat vehicle (the MBTs).

And you need to have some degree of balance between infantry and vehicles. You can't just ramp up all vehicles Moar. Some number of AV troops/MAXes should be on an equal footing with a given ground combat vehicle. That number might vary from one empire to the next (TR AV better against air, Vanu AV dishes out the DPS against slow moving targets, NC: don't bother trying to run, you'll just die tired).

Your opinion seems to reflect more your style of play than a good design concept to me. Specifically, it looks like you "pub" a lot, and never really got in with a good Outfit.

Do So.

Seriously.

When you know you've got a competent crew, and are all in voice communication with each other, being in a 2+ crew vehicle can ROCK. Particularly when you've played together several times before. You simply KNOW GuNnErX is crazy accurate with that cannon, and don't need to worry about trying to smooth out the ride so much to let him bring the hurt. If he spots an incoming reaver, he's going to TELL YOU so you can commence to dodging all those incoming rockets. GuNnErX knows YOU can dodge reavers all day until they get close enough for those 20mm cannons to start really chewing on them. He knows when he calls out a distant target that you'll give him a stable firing platform for maximum pwnage.

I'm partial to "a full squad of tanks" myself. Woe betide the poor pub tank that runs into us, fully crewed or not. They'll die faster than they thought a tank COULD die. 5 x 150mm adds up in a big hurry.

A group of liberators flying in some semblance of formation over a base must be pretty epic too. Clear the courtyard indeed.

A couple squads of infantry rolling in a couple leviathans can probably spew pain like you wouldn't believe. Blow through those deployables some poor engy spent half an hour deploying, bitch slap the wall guns, and fall out to take the tower in short order.

Teamwork is good. GOOD teamwork is simply amazing. Seek it out. You won't regret it.

It is THAT experience that makes PS unique. You can't get it anywhere else. And that is why I keep coming back. (that and the free 45 days... )

Last edited by NapalmEnima; 2011-07-25 at 07:05 PM.