PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-01, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Stanis
Master Sergeant

Post Re: The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation

Looks like MMORPG mechanics to provide an ongoing carrot.

What concerns me about skill tree or 'power advancements' leading to a hypothetical 20% maximum bonus:

It was the comment that they devs are still in the air over weather you'll need to work along the Heavy Assault tree to unlock MAX armour.

See, that's the part of the skill trees that worry me.
Either we play a game where every player soon discovers you need to go HA3, MAX1, MOSSIE1, HACK2 to get a basic level of self sufficiency. (metagame)

And if you can achieve that in say 10 days of auto-skilling. What is the point. Just give it to us at the start.

It also leads to my worry that in the mid or late game you realise thanks to metagame there is no recert. You can not unlearn a cert a day and change from being a spec'd out reaver pilot to a spec'd out MBT/support role.

That makes me sad. That was a beauty of the PS1 cert system. Everything could be changed. Because it was an FPS not an RPG with character development.

If it takes about a month to unlock level 10 skills, and about a week to get BR10 through game play .. Will that just mean we play a finely balanced game of alt characters with enough BR to keep offline-skilling.

If we can all just pickup and use every piece of kit from the very beginning then it looks like the skill tree is a never ending carrot. A gilded carrot.