PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Over Time
Thread: Over Time
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-07, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Re: Over Time

Originally Posted by Senyu View Post
Over Time, will the enviroment and bases change? As in geographically for example places very frequent with battles begin to show scars of it. Forests may spread and rivers carving out the land? Of course this would be over a large amount of time. Maybe a patch with slight changes every 6 months to a year? Can be big or small like forest grew by a couple trees or perhaps a good amount? Probably a pain for the developers but I'd think it would be neat.

Also I believe somewhere they said they might change base designs/layouts as the game grows to suit the combat. Such as seeing this wall or rock particualry doesn't work or they just dont like how it effects the battle. Someone want to confirm that for me? If so I hope the devs listen to the fanbase on their opinions of objects in question of change
The first part you mentioned would be awesome, but as Hamma mentioned it would be quite resource-intensive on the devs' part. There are certain parts you could do relatively easily though (via coding rather than patching the old maps), like giving trees a "lifetime" and scaling them a bit each month, so that after several years a tree would be noticeably larger.

I imagine they will make small changes to the maps over time, and other factors will shift the gameplay style like spawning and despawning resources (which Matt mentioned a few weeks back). I'm pretty excited to see how all that plays out, as even small differences should keep the strategic plans feeling fresh.

-HC13