PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Balancing Factor: Resource Storage Limit
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-18, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kipper
Captain

Re: Balancing Factor: Resource Storage Limit

What the OP is saying though is that in the first weeks of the game, it will be a factor and vehicles will be rare as people fight on foot to generate income at low cost.

Six months in, nobody will care about how much it costs to pull a galaxy because everyone will have more resources than they know what to do with.

There does need to be a balance (I don't think a limit is it) to make it so that there is an incentive to use resources wisely.

On World of Tanks, it takes AGES to accumulate XP and 'silver' to unlock and buy the next tanks (I've played on and off for a year and still mostly in VI & VII tanks!) - but, there will come a point where everyone maxes out and has the most uber of vehicles available to them. Players who like to 'complete' stuff will leave, and those who stay won't have anything left to aim for (or buy on the cash-shop).

So how does PS2 achieve longevity? Keeping people interested through long term rewards, but not having a 'cap' that will cause their income to dry up, or give players a reason to move on?

You can't just keep introducing new weapons and vehicles and raising level caps either, because over time, it would gimp new players severely and be a nightmare to balance.