PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - method specific XP?
View Single Post
Old 2004-03-06, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by DeadTeddy
ok, I guess I didn't explain it well. the idea is supposed to make all roles equivilant when it comes to XP. that way a dedicated infiltrator would make the same amount of XP as a dedicated reaver pilot and a surgile HA and any other role in one hour if they have the same amount of skill at what they do.
Um...they do. I blow up a MAX as an infiltrator, I get the same XP as if I gunned him down with a Reaver, and the same as if I hit him with a Deci. I've gotten more kills in some battles as an infiltrator than the Reaver pilot has because I can get places he can't. By the same token, I can't take on a tank as an infiltrator, because I don't have the kit to deal with it. As a Reaver, if you're lucky, you might get three or four tanks in an hour...they're tough, they usually have AA assets with them and your aircraft has the armor of paper. A skilled infiltrator can get dozens of people in a battle, especially if they've certed CE.

Certain weapons are more ADEPT at certain things (for instance, an infil without CE would have a tough time killing MAXes), but then again most of those roles are support and not combat. I've already said the support classes need some sort of XP for doing their jobs, and Smoke has indicated that may be coming down the pike at some point. Hence, things are already in motion to be balanced.

Originally Posted by DeadTeddy
currently you are limited because if you want to get XP and fast, you're gonna take the biggest baddest weapon around. this way, you would take a weapon according to what you think is most fun, cause they all give the same XP.
Not true. You go hunting for the guys in the biggest, baddest weapons around. For example, you can take a Prowler and get a gunner and kill guys and get maybe 200-300XP per kill (on average). Blow up a crewed prowler and you can get literally thousands of XP in one fell swoop. Use CE to set booby traps in defense and you can get 2000XP in a matter of minutes.

It shouldn't be based on what the enemy is carrying either. They already adjusted the XP per kill a while because MAXes were hunted with extreme prejudice, since they were worth 600 and the infantry only 300 (maximum). It wasn't worth being a MAX because everyone and their mother aimed for you, even if you weren't a threat (aircraft gunning down a ScatMAX for instance). Now it's not *as* bad where targets are really taken on a threat basis.

As Rulez pointed out, your system rewards people who take the weakest armor and the weakest weapons that are even once successful. I could make 1000XP wearing standard with a beamer and taking out a Rexo with HA, especially since your system makes no adjustment for damage done by others. It'd degenerate into people wearing standard for everything just because that was the highest XP payoff. People who didn't care about XP would carry weaker armor and weapons because they don't want to GIVE XP to the enemy.

The system we have works, it does what it is supposed to do. Want the higher XP from killing the big targets? Get a cert that does it. You get 7 certs for free, that's more than enough to get whatever you're looking to do.