PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Is PS2 going to be intercontinental enough?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-28, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Lord Paladin
Corporal

Re: Is PS2 going to be intercontinental enough?

Sorry guys, first time poster, and old planetside 1 vet from the very beginning; so please bear with me

I really like this idea, and here's the major reason.

Homeland.

Think of it this way. Instead of having 3 footholds on each continent, you have 1 foothold, and then 2 warpgates (I actually kinda like the "backdoor" warpgate idea too, perhaps it's one way?), but what this idea does it gives you something to "Take back" from the enemy. You don't care if hex B-4 on Indar is lost to the enemy, but if Indar is the VS home continent, then you can be damn sure that they're gonna wanna take it back when those damn Red TR peeps start encroaching. It gives you a sense of entitled "ownership" on the continent. This is OUR land.

Also, I like the idea of being able to cap the warpgate station without having to own all facilities, because this creates the tactic of attrition. You cut them off from being able to get a large amount of backup, and then start finishing them off. Also, say one faction is able to lock both of the warpgates, this creates a situation where the other two factions want to team up to take on the third faction, and force a battle at both of these warp gate stations as a massive choke point. These would be truely epic battles.

Not to mention, the idea of not being able to cap/own/lock a continent really does take away that grand scale that PS1 had. You can no longer "drive off the enemy." I think this is really what Higby was looking for when he was trying to find this "end game" he was talking about.

Also, it gives the ability to have Outfit airships as a possible work around to the warpgates an awesome addition later in the game :P

I do think, though, that this continent "locking" ability would be better with 4 continents, because then there would be one where everyone was on common ground, and the faction that was able to lock everyone out of the center continent would make for an awesome "win" scenario, even if it couldn't be held for long.