PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - In-Game News Correspondents: What do you think?
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-29, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Re: In-Game News Correspondents: What do you think?

It does scream potential abuse, so it would have to be very, very limited. I'm talking like 1 "Reporter" per fan site, and right now there's less then 5 lol. Even with these people they would have to be monitored to prevent abuse/exploitation.

But something like a daily battle report would be great so you get an idea of what's happened the past several hours before you play. This would be really great to have around events.

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
The players cannot create a character on the same server as their journalist account, and indeed, they could back that up with an IP block preventing secondary accounts from that household logging into the same server. And also, I said that SOE would firm up their relationships with community sites and vette the applicants. They could also be rotated monthly or something.
They can still get around almost any blocking SOE tries to do, that's not the issue though. Said reporter could be buds with a certain outfit and relay them vital intel.

Every spy dreams to have the cover of a reporter working all sides, gives them an excuse to work in the open. They may not be a prominent member of said outfit, it may not even be very big. But if he/she knows 5 people in one outfit and relays to them he saw 5 Galaxies of zerg bypassing the front line, 5 Reavers with AA could ruin their plan.

Or said reporter could have a secret long time grudge for an outfit, and gives small but repetitive intel against them

These may sound like paranoia, over reacting, and exaggerating, but in Planetside it's not. Information is more important here then other FPSs
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-03-29 at 01:21 PM.