PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - A Winnable PS? Dev Discussion read inside.
View Single Post
Old 2002-12-03, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Please everyone. Enlighten me in the ways of winning PS. Obviously, I must be missing some great cosmic truth in the world because frankly - that kind of game looks sux0rific to me.

Any kind of "winnable" situation in PS would no longer make this game constant. As soon as you've won (or lost), then all you worked for is SHIT. Bases captured, certs recieved, kills made: all gone. Do I want to pay for this? Of course not. If I wanted a game that involves teamwork, is "winnable," and does not have constant character progression then I would play Natural Selection. It is free* after all.

But let's put that aside. Assume you can win. You wouldn't be able to. There are THREE empires! If the TR dominated the VS until they were pressed against their last base, the TR would not have the power to take it. Why, you ask? One reason would be because the VS would have EVERY ENTIRE SOLDIER defending it. They wouldn't be able to spawn anywhere else anyway, so why fight somewhere else? And the TR would be insanely stupid to use the bulk of their forces to kill the VS because it would be leaving them very open to attacks from the NC. Why? Because every team is fighting TWO fronts: One for the VS and one for the NC in the example of the TR. Sure, dedicate all the forces to the destruction of the VS. You end up getting second place because why you're off a killin' the VS's base the NC come and rox0r your own. GG guys, right? Of course not. After a few trials of the above, no one would ever use enough force to capture a main base because of the fear of a counterattack. So the game would end up as unwinnable anyway.

Either way, I win.