PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "Higby pls" process explained
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-27, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
phungus
Master Sergeant

Re: "Higby pls" process explained

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
These games are never finished, that isn't the problem, the problem is the game is shit...

I don't know a single person who is playing anymore, they all quit by December 2012 and haven't bothered looking back because most people never do.
I've put in as much money and time as I did in Battlefield 3, which is considerable from my perspective. The game has alot of things going for it, and everyone definitely hasn't quit since SOE is still able to pay the devs to add new content.

Revenue for this game would be fascinating to look at. It really is a unique model, I mean just for statistical analysis - like how much $ comes from whales, how much from subscribers who just pay their monthly fee like this is a standard subscription game? I'm sure they haven't maximized that side of the equation yet either.

Also there are things I think are totally broken, like render distance. But if that was fixed it doesn't guaruntee I'll drop another $100 on the game, or even keep playing it. Who knows the gameplay changes from units no longer getting invisible god mode could make the game less enjoyable. Human behavior is a weird thing.

The game has two purposes (arguably 1, but they are intrinsically linked), get players to invest time playing the game, and get players to spend $$$. There are no games out there that are F2P MMO FPSes, this is it, so this game fulfills a market demand that no one else was willing or able to do, and that alone makes it at least somewhat succesful.

Last edited by phungus; 2013-06-27 at 08:49 PM.