PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Higby's "Expedition" Continents
View Single Post
Old 2014-06-21, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: Higby's "Expedition" Continents

Originally Posted by Edfishy View Post
Higby explained on the PS2 forums how and why they're doing Hossin now.

The jist is that it takes the level designers 2-3 weeks to produce a "Amerish-quality" outpost, and there's roughly 80 outposts needed to be finished per new continent. Higby describes Hossin's outposts at the moment as being 50% polished, 25% first pass, and 25% copy-paste bases, and refers to Hossins early release as an "Early Expedition" continent.

Well heck, I say you throw down some construction equipment and barrels and just make this a part of the game! Make new continents that "aren't fully established" a part of the game's lore.

For new "expedition" continents, I imagine it couldn't take much more than a month for SOE's artists to create the raw landscape. Cookie cutter in some PS2:Beta style bases and you're talking a new continent every month or so! (Ranik here even suggested a rudimentary base placement setup for Outfits)

I can understand with SOE's new locking mechanism that they might have qualms in the cases where new players might end up locked into "Low Quality" continent. That's why if expedition continents to be a thing, I'd have their mechanics different so they are locked / unlocked along with the "High Quality" continents, something akin to the battle islands.

What do you think? Are more "Early Expedition" continents an answer to PS2's continent problem?
160-240 weeks is between 3 to 4.5 years to create a continent and I think they have 1 full time and 1 to 2 part time level creators at present.

The devs just have to do something.

Last edited by ringring; 2014-06-21 at 04:39 PM.