PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA
Thread: News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-02, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #124
whisenhunt
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Name one multiplayer FPS where someone holding W + M1 would reliably do better than an intelligently played vet utilizing the same equipment.

The problem with calling types of play 'intelligent' is that what is a sound tactic and what is not differs greatly from game to game. Smart tactics in ArmaII would be completely worthless tactics in Tribes 2, and vice versa.

Bursting and recoil control, as such, are intelligent moves only if the game penalizes them. Not all games do so, including games that are considered highly skill based.

Oh, and regarding your remark on 'Watered down' fps mechanics of modern shooters.. Have you considered the idea that they're not, in fact, watered down, and instead just not what you prefer? Have you considered as well the idea that some may consider mechanics you prefer 'needlessly obtuse'?
I'm going to get back to this question a bit later. The answer requires a lot of explanations.

Originally Posted by FlaxxBread View Post
can you share your feelings on the Infantry Movement speed in PS2?

I feel that in addition to spread and recoil increase, increased movement speed can significantly increase an FPS games skill cap by giving stronger players a greater ability to seek cover when under fire from a player with poor aim.
(and consequently a higher time to kill. where as a skilled player will be able to kill fast enough that this is not an issue.)

and will there be a difference in movment speed between classes (eg. light & heavy assult)

Tribes penalises automatic weapons with high TTK and very high movement speed, for a modern military shooter style of FPS he is ABSOLUTELY correct.

(PS1 also had relitivly high TTK compared to this game)
This is a point I agree with him on, there were plenty of games similar, including Quake UT and Tribes... However we aren't these games, I consider those games 'Arena Shooters', we are dealing with a completely different monster.

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
What is your opinion of PS1 as a tactical shooter? Sure the netcode is bad, but how do you think the gameplay was?
The game play worked out just due to the sheer size of the battles and was unbelievably fun, however I feel (as do most PS1 players I've spoken with) that the gun play was no where near what it could be.

Professional FPS commentator, retired 13 year competitive FPS gamer.

PlanetSide 2 Game Designer.

Twitter: @JimmyWhis