PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Vehicle Crew vs. Functionality Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-25, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Vehicle Crew vs. Functionality Discussion

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
"Intel" is a facet of warfare that is largely missing from PS. Radar and motion detectors are about the extent of it. With command rank granting radar sweeps, enemy heat maps and so forth, there's a lot that could be done to block that kind of information, but not a lot to do to make that blocking fun.
BC2 comes to mind where intel became a useful role that anybody could play in the field with spotting.

With the mission system, a recon unit could essentially take a screenshot of their view. Depending on whether it is a squad moving to a base or a full on armor column, a mission could be generated with an XP kickback to the scout who flagged the enemy movement as something the mission system might want to generate a mission for. The better the screenshot (more enemies seen in view) the better the payoff pending mission completion.

Kind of like what little I saw from Dead Rising where you take photos of zombies that gives points for various criteria (I only played that game briefly though).

Sorry to OP that is getting off topic.

I'm all about adding function, whether at the expense of firepower or not. I think that its a valid topic to pursue, regardless of the fact that it's likely that some other game has had any given ability (Stun, Mezz, Debuff, Slow... the list goes on). I believe that Higby said that they want to have a predictable system where any given source of damage can be predicted and not random.

I don't know how to interpret that, given weapon customization. Its a given that that means no crits (he def said that) but what does that mean for things like target painting (in the sense of an effect on a target that causes them to take more damage or resist less)? I'd love to see some utility stuff like webifiers (makes target move slowly).

What degree are the devs willing to let another player take control from them over how they experience the game? Like the jockey from L4D2, or the TF2 Scout's Sandman stun, the line has to get drawn somewhere (there's a direct or indirect mechanism in both games to prevent either from being excessively spammed).