PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - PSForever.net and PS1 Packet Capture
View Single Post
Old 2015-10-03, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Chord
Private

Re: PSForever.net and PS1 Packet Capture

Originally Posted by KingFeraligatr View Post
Finally! I still have my doubts that this will take off, but congrats to getting here. I'll still be testing like usual, despite my doubts. Also, are we going to be able to modify the game's assets? I have several things I want to change, add, fix, rebalance, etc.

Anyways, V-V-F and V-V-E. And V-V-T.
Thanks for sticking with it, regardless. Doing this with community support is much better than without.

If by assets you mean damage values, rates of fire, etc. then yes, but first is figuring out all of the existing values. But essentially, making a server will allow you to make completely different game with different rules.

If you are interested in messing around with game assets (such as models / textures) in general, I believe an old hacker named itburnz has a tool that can extract actual game assets from DDS files. Also secant has done a lot of work in this area.

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
So you plan on coding from scratch an MMO it took many people many years to create by using a packet sniffer tool?
Sounds brash, I know. But luckily all of those difficult graphics problems are already solved for me. Creating a game server, is a simpler problem as we just have to send data to the client(s) for presentation. Not saying it's easy, but I'm not remaking the whole game, just the server.

Plus, all of those years of work boil down to the messages being sent and received. There is a ton going on behind the scenes to get this to work, but it's not black magic. It can be replicated.