PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Huge Outfits and PlanetSide 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-01, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #385
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Re: Huge Outfits and PlanetSide 2

Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
Well clearly what is missing for smaller groups to be effective is smaller objectives which are impactful to the larger groups operations. Denial of important resources, base benefits, that kind of thing, but these areas need to be very defensible for the smaller groups to hold off the impending throng they will attract. Could probably use more CE elements and such as well. Let me go back over the previous 25 pages (sigh) and see what others have said.

EDIT: Yeah screw that , you guys hit on that pretty early on. Hey it's one thing to roll 20 people when the pop limit was 400 per cont and call yourselves small but 20 of 2000 you are microscopic. Just a victim of scale. I like that guy's idea of battle islands where maybe a cont could be divided in 1/4 but still behave as one in the scheme of things. So then you would get back to 20 or 500 which is similar to the days of old. Maybe have weapon type limitations as well as was on old Oshur. Would be a refreshing change I think.
Being successful in a small outfit doesn't necessarily entail winning against a large zerg. Even the best small outfits of PS1 couldn't always win every engagement. They helped defeat us, on an empire scale, through delaying, stalling, getting that last minute resecure and screwing the rest of us up for another 15 minutes while we twiddled our thumbs. They screwed us by keeping our tech generator down for twenty minutes. They screwed us up by placing bombs on frequent drop zones and wiping out our gal drops. They screwed us up by finding our AMSes and then chipping away at us, killing two or three of us with superior individual skill.

They picked their fights instead of fighting everything.

The successful large outfits had ways to combat that, protocols and backup plans, fallbacks and counters. The unsuccessful large outfits didn't have answers to small outfit tactics and were routed.

A successful small outfit controlled the battlefield and fought on their own terms. They forced our hand. They didn't have to actually kill us all to "win" and winning wasn't always about the base being taken.

This isn't about 20 men being able to actually kill 200. It's about winning the battle, and then the war - not always the physical engagement.

And that is what PS2 is missing.

Last edited by robocpf1; 2013-01-01 at 05:27 PM.