PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Huge Outfits and PlanetSide 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-01, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #386
Rockit
Banned

Re: Huge Outfits and PlanetSide 2

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
Being successful in a small outfit doesn't necessarily entail winning against a large zerg. Even the best small outfits of PS1 couldn't always win every engagement. They helped defeat us, on an empire scale, through delaying, stalling, getting that last minute resecure and screwing the rest of us up for another 15 minutes while we twiddled our thumbs. They screwed us by keeping our tech generator down for twenty minutes. They screwed us up by placing bombs on frequent drop zones and wiping out our gal drops. They screwed us up by finding our AMSes and then chipping away at us, killing two or three of us with superior individual skill.

The successful large outfits had ways to combat that, protocols and backup plans, fallbacks and counters. The unsuccessful large outfits didn't have answers to small outfit tactics and were routed.

A successful small outfit controlled the battlefield and fought on their own terms. They forced our hand. They didn't have to actually kill us all to "win" and winning wasn't always about the base being taken.

This isn't about 20 men being able to actually kill 200. It's about winning the battle, and then the war - not always the physical engagement.

And that is what PS2 is missing.
Yes I know. I was spec ops most times myself. But I would hate to face the numbers the zerg has now with 2 squads and the open buildings as in PS2 and expect to last very long as to have an actual impact on large scale ops. You can either create an area where numbers are more equal or make the areas of denial a fortress and we all know how receptive SOE has been to that. Also, yeah here we go, if you really want to have pinpoint areas of denial you need linearity in battle flow. No I won't use the L-word but something like that would be needed.