PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - People who don't play in outfits - a growing problem?
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-06, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Calisai
Contributor
Sergeant

Re: People who don't play in outfits - a growing problem?

Originally Posted by Bocheezu View Post
I feel that organized, outfit play was the point of PS1 and lone wolf farming was useless. Capturing objectives was purpose of the game because getting to BR20/CR5 didn't require you to farm; it just came naturally from playing the game. If I logged in and there weren't many from the outfit on, it felt like a waste of time.
I played PS1 off and on for the complete history of it. With a mix of Tactical outfit play/Solo play/Laid back Outfit play/Zergfit play

When I was on Markov TR I was in a great outfit, gal drops, etc. Extremely tactical but not overbearing. The type of outfit that would time thier gal loadups and try and get faster and better. Unfortunately, It eventually died away (leader had to leave PS) until there were only 3 of us playing any significant time.

That started my Solo Play, as a BR25/CR5 max level (at the time). I would do foothold resecures and watch the empty conts and call in reinforcements from the outfits if needed. Usually ran AMS's/Loadstars for the zerg, or depending on mood, just killwhored, etc.

After a year or so this became boring so I actually moved to Emerald VS (my alt) and joined up with the outfit that I moved to PS2 with. A much more laid back outfit, the only requirement being that you have at least listen coms and run with the squad during ops.

Basically, I do feel that Planetside offers MUCH more when played with a good outfit, both tactically as well as socially. However, I do see the merits of not only playing solo, but in actually being an asset to your faction while doing so. It was easier to make a difference in PS1 solo, but there are still ways to be beneficial in PS2. (for example running an ammo sundy, or ams driving, etc)

The only way to play this game wrong is to not have fun while doing it. It is a game... if you are not having fun.. you need to either find a different way to play it, or stop altogether. Anyone who says you are playing PS wrong... is an idiot who wants to shove their viewpoint down your throat... don't listen to them and just find ways to have fun.

Oh, and I think outfits are hurt more by players leaving the game, than them leaving to go play solo, btw. The reason the zerg exists is because solo guys as well as off-hour outfit players tend to group up. So, They really don't "solo" play much. They are just grouped in a non-coordinated way (thus a lot less effective, but still powerful).

Last edited by Calisai; 2013-03-06 at 11:42 AM.