PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Live Streams with Commentators In Lieu of ESports
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: Live Streams with Commentators In Lieu of ESports

First, I'd say that the idea of esports and PS2 is a very tricky subject.

I think Kurtz's idea is a good compromise. But it is not true esports. And I'm not convinced that true esports will ever work or become popular in MMOs (not just PS2).

The MMO that could have been the best fit for esports was Warhammer Online in my opinion. The game was designed as a true no-instance open world MMO, but from the start had instance-based team vs team matches.

There were level requirements for the different matches to keep the playing field somewhat (somewhat) even.

What ended up happening was that people would mostly only play in the open world while they were waiting in queue for an instanced match. So the open world objectives were paid little attention, mainly becaused the instanced match play provided the most XP gains.

But even in an MMO that had esports type gameplay build in from the start, I've never heard of any esports teams or broadcasting of Warhammer Online. I could be wrong, but even if so it never became that popular.

So basically I don't see how true esports and MMOs can co-habitate well together. That being said, I think the OP's idea is a decent compromise.